Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

hillbilly recon
    Participant

I have been reviewing different solar applications for our Fort XL and was wondering if anyone in this group has added solar to their unit? If so, what did you select and why? Please include photos of your rig with the solar if you have them.
    Thanks in advance for your help on this matter!

CreekDevil
    Participant

I use a 6 watt panel for trickle charging while the trailer isn’t in use. At 6 watts one doesn’t need a charge controller to prevent overcharging. Tractor Supply carries the Coleman version I’m using.

hillbilly recon
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for the delay in replying

Rig
    Participant

I use a briefcase-style 100W panel. It’s pretty big, but I use a lot of amps for 360-degree lighting at night. I pull it out, set it up, and can hook it directly to the AGM via alligator clamps. Charge controller is built in, which helps. You can also hard wire some Anderson power poles to the AGM and route them to the shore power port for easy access for panel hook-up, that’s my next upgrade.

Here’s the panel I got.

hillbilly recon
    Participant

Thanks for your suggestion and link for reviewing the solar system. I agree with you, hard wiring some Anderson power poles would make connection much easier!
    Have you ever considered the fold-able solar panels? If not, why?

Shagnasty
    Participant

I have a 120 watt foldable solar panel with a controller wired in the Fort XL and another controller on the FJ . Lightweight and it stores very easily.

hillbilly recon
    Participant

What type of fold-able panel do you have? The brand name please.I am collecting information about all systems before I decide which one to purchase. Thanks in advance for your input!

Shagnasty
    Participant

Sorry for the response delay. The foldable panel is made by PowerFilm Solaar

hillbilly recon
    Participant

Thanks Shagnasty! I’ll look into that product.

brices123
    Participant

I know this thread started over a year ago, but I wanted to add what I did.

I have this solar panel: Grape Solar GS-STAR-100W Polycrystalline Solar Panel, 100-watt (currently $142 on Amazon) and it is coupled with a MorningStar ProStar PS-30 PWM Solar Charge Controller, 30 Amp 12/24 Volts (currently $122 on Amazon.
    It is a great set up. I used it to keep my battery charged when the trailer is parked, and use it to charge the system if we will be gone for a longer trip.
    The MorningStar controller is mounted inside the tongue box, and wired into the electrical system, I have a 12V plug that connects to the solar panel that provides the charge. The system can be bypassed with a Blue Sea Systems e-Series Battery Switch (currently $37 on Amazon).
    In over a year, I have not had any issues with it whatsoever. If you want photos, let me now.

P.S. I have a Fort XL.

hillbilly recon
    Participant

Brices123,
    Thanks for letting me know about your solar setup. I still haven’t pulled the trigger on upgrading my rig with solar. I was hoping for a flexible panel that can be put on my awning or the fly to the Tepui Tent.
    If you are able to include a few photos on your setup, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for sharing.

brices123
    Participant

Sorry for the long wait, but I jut saw your request for photos.
    I am not sure how to posts photos on this forum. I can only link them.
    I have put some photos on Flickr, try this link.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskNYyb1c

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.